WORLD

Canadian Premier Launches 1st-Ever Defense Industrial Strategy

18/02/2026 10:15 AM

HAMILTON, Feb 18 (Bernama-Anadolu) -- Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney on Tuesday unveiled the first-ever Defence Industrial Strategy, outlining more than C$500 billion in planned defence-related investments over the next decade, aimed at strengthening national security, expanding domestic industry, and creating high-paying jobs across the country, Anadolu Ajansi reported.

"In total over the next decade, Canada will invest C$180 billion directly in defence procurement, C$290 billion in defence and security-related infrastructure, and create over C$125 billion in additional downstream economic benefits," Carney said at a news conference in Montreal, detailing the scale of the initiative.

He highlighted the importance of leveraging Canada's existing defence sector and said, "The Canadian defence industry is already employing more than 80,000 Canadians directly and many more indirectly."

"We must absolutely maximise the yield of such investment of more than C$500 million in order to strengthen our security, improve our jobs, multiply jobs and protect our sovereignty," he added.

Noting that "this means more than just increasing the size of our military," Carney stated that "it also means the strength of our industries, the resilience of our economy and our capacity to act independently when it matters the most."

Carney also explained that the defence industrial strategy is "a bold plan to get our Armed Forces what they need when they need it." It's a bold plan to scale Canadian defence companies and to put hundreds of billions of dollars into strategic sectors of our economy, while creating over 125,000 high-paying jobs across Canada."

According to a statement by the Prime Minister's Office detailing the strategy, Canada aims to increase its "defence exports by 50 per cent, raise the share of defence acquisitions awarded to Canadian firms to 70 per cent, and grow Canadian defence industry revenues by 240 per cent."

"Within a decade, we will raise maritime fleet serviceability to 75 per cent, land fleets to 80 per cent, and aerospace fleets to 85 per cent to bolster Canadian defence," it said.

Meanwhile, Carney said the strategy's framework is "simple: build, partner, buy," prioritising Canadian firms and cooperation with allies.

"The centrepiece of our new approach is the Defence Investment Agency, or DIA," Carney said.

Noting that assumptions on Canada's policies in terms of defence and foreign affairs "have been completely upended", Carney said, "Danger is closer to our borders, and this is a more divided world, and Canadian leadership will be defining itself, not only through the strength of our values, but also the value of our strength."

He explained that the country is on track to meet its "2 per cent NATO target by this spring, a full decade ahead of the previous schedule," and "recruitment to the Canadian Armed Forces is up 13 per cent since June."

"Our Canadian Armed Forces will be backed by a resilient Canadian defence industrial base. Every dollar will be spent to maximise jobs, careers and industries right here in Canada," he affirmed.

When asked about joining the US-proposed "Golden Dome" missile defence system, Carney said, "We are exploring the next phase of that defence with the United States, and that could include what’s called the Golden Dome."

He said talks with US officials on the missile defence system are "going well. It's under development."

"If it’s in the right interests of Canada, and I think there are certainly many scenarios where it will be in the right interest of Canada, we will be a willing participant," he added.

Asked whether the strategy would reduce the share of Canada's defence capital spending that goes to the US, a share he previously said amounts to three-quarters, Carney said, "There are many strengths to this partnership that we have with the United States."

"But it is a dependency, and it's a dependency when we want to change in a positive way by building up our defence capacities here and our other partnerships abroad," he added.

Relations between Canada and the US have been strained since US President Donald Trump imposed tariffs on Canadian goods and later halted trade talks because of an anti-tariff advertisement aired in the US.

-- BERNAMA-ANADOLU


BERNAMA provides up-to-date authentic and comprehensive news and information which are disseminated via BERNAMA Wires; www.bernama.com; BERNAMA TV on Astro 502, unifi TV 631 and MYTV 121 channels and BERNAMA Radio on FM93.9 (Klang Valley), FM107.5 (Johor Bahru), FM107.9 (Kota Kinabalu) and FM100.9 (Kuching) frequencies.

Follow us on social media :
Facebook : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatv, @bernamaradio
Twitter : @bernama.com, @BernamaTV, @bernamaradio
Instagram : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatvofficial, @bernamaradioofficial
TikTok : @bernamaofficial

© 2026 BERNAMA   • Disclaimer   • Privacy Policy   • Security Policy