WASHINGTON, Aug 22 (Bernama-dpa) -- The United States (US) Supreme Court is allowing construction of President Donald Trump's controversial ballroom to continue on the White House grounds for the time being, according to a statement issued on Friday, reported German Press Agency (dpa).
The top court temporarily suspended a lower court’s order halting construction work, Chief Justice John Roberts said in a brief order.
The order will remain in force until the court reaches a decision on the case.
A legal dispute has been ongoing for years over the planned ballroom, with its construction expected to cost hundreds of millions of dollars.
Most recently, an appeals court ruled that Trump was not permitted to build his ballroom without authorisation.
It found that he would have to seek approval from Congress and that construction would have to be suspended until further notice.
Heritage conservationists have taken the US administration to court in a bid to halt the project, which has drawn criticism over its cost, size, the way it was pushed through without consultation, and its impact on the historic White House complex.
There have been repeated legal challenges to the ballroom, but the president and his team insist it is necessary for national security.
The new ballroom will be able to withstand virtually any form of attack while remaining aesthetically pleasing, Trump said last month: “It’s bulletproof, drone-proof, missile-proof in many cases, and beautiful at the same time.”
Construction began in 2025 on the site of the former East Wing of the White House.
The extension, which covers several thousand square metres, will allow significantly larger state banquets to be held than in the building used to date, the administration says.
-- BERNAMA-dpa
BERNAMA provides up-to-date authentic and comprehensive news and information which are disseminated via BERNAMA Wires; www.bernama.com; BERNAMA TV on Astro 502, unifi TV 631 and MYTV 121 channels and BERNAMA Radio on FM93.9 (Klang Valley), FM107.5 (Johor Bahru), FM107.9 (Kota Kinabalu) and FM100.9 (Kuching) frequencies.
Follow us on social media :
Facebook : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatv, @bernamaradio
Twitter : @bernama.com, @BernamaTV, @bernamaradio
Instagram : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatvofficial, @bernamaradioofficial
TikTok : @bernamaofficial