WORLD

Suspension Of US Tariffs Against Canada To Remain In Effect Until August 21 - Carney

19/08/2026 06:29 PM

WASHINGTON, August 19 (Bernama-Sputnik/RIA Novosti) -- Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said that significant progress had been made in trade talks between Washington and Ottawa but noted that the pause of US tariffs on Canadian goods would only remain in effect until the end of this week.

Overnight into Wednesday, US President Donald Trump said he had paused the imposition of 50 per cent tariffs on Canada for the two countries to finalise a trade deal.

"Substantial progress has been made, although there is important work still to be done. As this work is ongoing, the United States has agreed to postpone the implementation of its 50 per cent tariff on a range of Canadian goods … until end of day, August 21," Carney said in a statement, reported Sputnik/RIA Novosti.

At the same time, the prime minister said that Ottawa continues to focus on increasing the independence and competitiveness of its economy.

--BERNAMA-SPUTNIK/RIA NOVOSTI


BERNAMA provides up-to-date authentic and comprehensive news and information which are disseminated via BERNAMA Wires; www.bernama.com; BERNAMA TV on Astro 502, unifi TV 631 and MYTV 121 channels and BERNAMA Radio on FM93.9 (Klang Valley), FM107.5 (Johor Bahru), FM107.9 (Kota Kinabalu) and FM100.9 (Kuching) frequencies.

Follow us on social media :
Facebook : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatv, @bernamaradio
Twitter : @bernama.com, @BernamaTV, @bernamaradio
Instagram : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatvofficial, @bernamaradioofficial
TikTok : @bernamaofficial

© 2026 BERNAMA   • Disclaimer   • Privacy Policy   • Security Policy