WORLD

UN Peacekeeping Force Reports Sharp Rise In Israeli Military Activity In Southern Lebanon

18/08/2026 09:13 AM

BEIRUT / ISTANBUL, Aug 18 (Bernama-Anadolu) -- The UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) said on Monday that there had been a notable increase in Israeli military activity in southern Lebanon over the past two weeks, warning that civilians were bearing the brunt of the escalating tensions, Anadolu Ajansi reported.

“Between Aug 5 and 16, UNIFIL recorded an average of 137 projectiles per day, including 208 on Saturday and 185 on Sunday,” UNIFIL said in a statement.

“As tensions rise, civilians are once again paying the highest price, with many families displaced or forced to change their daily routines because of insecurity and uncertainty,” it added.

UNIFIL said its peacekeepers had maintained their presence on the ground by conducting patrols, monitoring the situation, removing obstacles from roads, reducing the risks posed by explosives and facilitating access for humanitarian aid.

It added that UN Security Council Resolution 1701 remained the fundamental framework for restoring stability in southern Lebanon.

Adopted in 2006, Resolution 1701 calls for a cessation of hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah and the strengthening of the deployment of the Lebanese army and UNIFIL in southern Lebanon.

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun on Monday voiced support for extending UNIFIL's mandate and adopting a formula that would ensure the continued presence of international forces in the area.

UNIFIL's mandate in southern Lebanon is set to expire at the end of 2026 amid international debate over the force's future and mission.

Beirut, for its part, insists that UNIFIL's presence be maintained as a key element of stability in the south.

The latest developments came amid efforts to consolidate security arrangements linked to a “framework formula” agreement signed by Beirut and Tel Aviv on June 26.

The agreement calls for a gradual Israeli withdrawal from all occupied Lebanese territory, after which Lebanese army forces are expected to deploy to the vacated areas.

It also calls for the disarmament of “armed groups”, in an apparent reference to Hezbollah.

Israeli forces remain present in several parts of southern Lebanon, some of which have been under occupation for decades.

Other areas have remained under occupation since an earlier round of fighting in 2023 and 2024, during which Israeli forces advanced more than 10 kilometres (6.2 miles) into sovereign Lebanese territory.

The death toll from repeated Israeli assaults on southern Lebanon has risen to 4,346 since March 2, after 11 people were killed in two separate Israeli airstrikes on Saturday.

-- BERNAMA-ANADOLU


BERNAMA provides up-to-date authentic and comprehensive news and information which are disseminated via BERNAMA Wires; www.bernama.com; BERNAMA TV on Astro 502, unifi TV 631 and MYTV 121 channels and BERNAMA Radio on FM93.9 (Klang Valley), FM107.5 (Johor Bahru), FM107.9 (Kota Kinabalu) and FM100.9 (Kuching) frequencies.

Follow us on social media :
Facebook : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatv, @bernamaradio
Twitter : @bernama.com, @BernamaTV, @bernamaradio
Instagram : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatvofficial, @bernamaradioofficial
TikTok : @bernamaofficial

© 2026 BERNAMA   • Disclaimer   • Privacy Policy   • Security Policy