ALOR SETAR, Dec 5 -- The Kedah Football Association (KFA) congress has approved a RM32 million budget for the Lang Merah team next year compared to RM30.4 million for this year.
KFA president Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir said the higher allocation was to partly finance the team’s participation in the Asian Champions League (ACL) next year.
"Last year we were given a RM30.4 million budget but KFA only spent RM26.5 million because of good financial management. But for next season, the budget has been increased to RM32 million because it includes our participation in ACL.
"We need to be prudent but will continue to spend to unearth new talents at the grassroots level through development programmes like Lang Muda Football Development Programme and Kedah Kenari Kid. KFA is in the final stages of talks on sponsorship,” he told reporters after the 44th KFA Congress here today.
Mukhriz, who is also Kedah Menteri Besar, said Kedah would start to set up the Kedah Football Club or FC Kedah next year to meet Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) requirements.
"FAM has decided that only registered football clubs are eligible to compete in the Malaysian Professional League beginning 2021. FC Kedah will recognise only one fan club that is officially registered,” he said.
Mukhriz said Stadium Sultan Abdul Halim, Suka Menanti would be turned into a football hub for KFA and FC Kedah as it is strategically located and has adequate facilities.
"Stadium Darul Aman will also be given a RM5.8 million facelift,” he added.