BETONG, March 12 (Bernama) -- The recent arrest of three terror suspects in Serian town is a cause for concern, said Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg.
Abang Johari, who is also the State Security Committee chairman, said the alleged terrorist activities of these suspects were detrimental to the state's security.
"We must congratulate PDRM (Royal Malaysian Police) for their efforts and intelligence which had allowed them to identify, zero in and arrest those involved in such activities," he told a media conference here today.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun had said the three suspects, namely an Egyptian man, a local man and woman, aged between 20 and 54, were arrested on Feb 2.
They were among nine individuals, including seven foreigners, arrested in several operations carried out by the Special Branch Counter Terrorism Division last month in the Klang Valley and Sarawak.
Asked if the state security had been breached, Abang Johari said, in a way, it had been but the authorities were also monitoring the situation.
"What I want the people to do is to be more cautious and be prepared.
"We must be wary of foreigners suddenly opening up restaurants in our midst even if they are wearing the white haji cap,” he said of the Egyptian restaurateur who allegedly had ties to the al-Qaeda terrorist group.
"It is a matter of perception," added the chief minister.