PUTRAJAYA, Feb 11 (Bernama) – The Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) today announced the establishment of the Economic Action Council, which is tasked with scrutinising and making decisions regarding economic and financial affairs as well as the people's well-being.
The PMO said in a statement today that the main objectives of the council, which is chaired by Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, are promoting sustainable economic growth, ensuring equitable distribution of wealth, and enhancing the people’s well-being.
"The council was formed to act on the feedback of the ordinary people on the problems they face, especially with the economy,” it said.
It said the council will also examine issues related to cost of living, manpower needs, poverty and home ownership.
The statement also lists the council members:
- Datuk Seri Azmin Ali – Economic Affairs Minister
- Lim Guan Eng – Finance Minister
- Datuk Ignatius Darell Leiking – International Trade and Industry Minister
- Baru Bian – Works Minister
- Dr Muhammed Abdul Khalid – Economic advisor to the Prime Minister
- Tan Sri Rafidah Aziz – Former International Trade Industry Minister
- Tan Sri Zeti Akhtar Aziz – Permodalan Nasional Bhd chairman
- Professor Dr. Jomo Kwame Sundaram – Council of Eminent Persons (CEP) member
- Tan Sri Tay Ah Lek – Public Bank managing director
- Dr Hasnita Hashim – Majlis Amanah Rakyat chairman
- Datuk Shireen Ann Zaharah Muhiudeen – Bursa Malaysia chairman
- Tan Sri Dr Mohd Munir Abdul Majid – Chairman of Asean Business Advisory Council, Malaysia
- Datuk Dr Paul Selvaraj – Federation of Malaysian Consumers Associations (FOMCA) chief executive officer
- Bah Tony @ Amani William Hunt Abdullah – lawyer
- Nizam Mahshar – Member of Institut Masa Depan Malaysia (MASA) board of trustees
"These appointments take immediate effect,” the PMO said, adding the council’s secretariat is the Implementation Coordination Unit of the Prime Minister’s Department.