GENEVA, Sept 14 (Bernama) -- The UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) said on Friday that it will open a new Ebola response front in the Democratic Republic of Congo to provide support to thousands of people following the recent confirmation of new Ebola cases, Xinhua news agency reported.
In a latest development, Congo authorities said on Thursday that five more Ebola cases were confirmed, including two from the urban commercial hub of Butembo in North Kivu province, one of which involved a health worker from a clinic where the city's first case had been treated.
Butembo is North Kivu province's second largest city, with a population of nearly 1 million, and has so far four confirmed cases.
Earlier cases include a patient who fled from the Beni outbreak hotspot and a man who fled from Ituri province and whose illness was diagnosed retroactively in Butembo based on a semen sample.
"So there is a real risk the virus could spread quickly in such a large population centre," said Dr Gianfranco Rotigliano, the UNICEF representative in Congo.....