WORLD

PRABOWO POSTPONES CHINA VISIT TO FOCUS ON DOMESTIC DEVELOPMENTS

31/08/2025 07:19 PM

By Mohd Iswandi Kasan Anuar

JAKARTA, Aug 31 (Bernama) – Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto has postponed his visit to China in order to monitor the series of demonstrations that have spread to several regions of the country.

State Secretary Prasetyo Hadi said Prabowo had also apologised to the Chinese government for being unable to attend the invitation.

“The President wishes to directly observe developments at home and to lead efforts in finding the best solution,” Prasetyo said in a statement.

Local media had earlier reported that Prabowo was scheduled to attend a military parade in Beijing on September 3 and deliver an address at the United Nations (UN) General Assembly in New York on September 23.

The postponement follows a wave of protests that began last Monday in Central Jakarta, triggered by public anger over the high allowances received by members of parliament.

Tensions escalated on Thursday when an online motorcycle taxi driver was hit by a police tactical vehicle as officers attempted to disperse demonstrators.

The protests later spread to Surabaya, Bandung, Medan and Yogyakarta, while in Makassar, protesters set fire to a Regional House of Representatives (DPRD) building, killing three civil servants on Friday.

Looting incidents targeting the homes of several MPs and one minister were also reported from Saturday evening to early Sunday morning.

At the same time, Prabowo chaired a cabinet meeting in Bogor on Saturday, attended by National Police Chief General Listyo Sigit Prabowo and Armed Forces Commander General Agus Subiyanto, to assess the latest situation.

In a joint statement, Listyo and Agus stressed the importance of coordination between the government, police and military to maintain stability and curb anarchic acts that exceed the boundaries of free expression.

“The President has instructed me and the Commander… The armed forces and police are to take firm action in accordance with the law,” Listyo said.

On the same day, 16 Islamic organisations led by Nahdlatul Ulama Chairman Yahya Cholil Staquf met with Prabowo to discuss national issues in a broader context.

“We agreed to work together in overcoming the situation and urged the public to remain calm,” Yahya said in a statement.

-- BERNAMA

 

 

© 2025 BERNAMA   • Disclaimer   • Privacy Policy   • Security Policy