MOSCOW, May 18 (Bernama-Sputnik/RIA Novosti) -- Cuba will exercise its right to self-defence if ever it is attacked, the country's foreign ministry said on Sunday, Sputnik/RIA Novosti reported.
Earlier in the day, the New York Times reported, citing sources in the US administration, that high-ranking US officials are considering the possibility of former Cuban leader Raul Castro being captured in a Venezuelan-style scenario.
"If Cuba is attacked, it will exercise its right to legitimate defence," the ministry wrote on X.
Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel, when asked about possible resignation under US pressure, has said that the idea of simply surrendering is alien to Cuban revolutionaries.
Cuba does not consider comparisons with Venezuela appropriate due to differences in the countries' historical and political development, he added.
--BERNAMA-SPUTNIK/RIA NOVOSTI
