CRIME & COURTS

PHD STUDENT LOSES NEARLY RM850,000 TO PHONE SCAM

30/08/2025 11:26 AM

GEORGE TOWN, Aug 30 (Bernama) -- A Chinese national, who is a PhD student at a local university, recently lost nearly RM850,000 after falling victim to a phone scam syndicate posing as Chinese authorities.

Penang police chief Datuk Azizee Ismail said the 29-year-old man lodged a report at the Timur Laut District Police Headquarters on Thursday.

He said the victim claimed that a man, who introduced himself as an officer from the Shanghai Public Security Bureau, contacted him at 10.30 am on Aug 4.

“The suspect claimed there was a package containing an identity card, credit cards, and a chequebook under the victim’s name, which were sent from Malaysia to China, that had been seized by the Shanghai police.

“The victim was then connected to another individual who claimed to be an officer from the Hon An Public Security Bureau, who alleged that the victim’s bank account was also suspected of being involved in online fraud activities in China,” he said in a statement today.

Azizee said the suspect then told the victim to transfer money into several bank accounts and e-wallets provided, supposedly for investigation purposes.

“The victim made 30 fund transfers to 11 local bank accounts and three cryptocurrency (USDT) accounts, totalling RM847,843, between Aug 6 and 26.

“Further investigations are underway, and the case is being probed under Section 420 of the Penal Code,” he added.

-- BERNAMA

 

 

 


 

© 2025 BERNAMA   • Disclaimer   • Privacy Policy   • Security Policy