KUALA TERENGGANU, Feb 16 (Bernama) -- A total of 503 police personnel and officers from the Terengganu contingent have been deployed to work for the duration of Op Selamat 24/2026, from Feb 15 to 20, in conjunction with Chinese New Year tomorrow (Feb 17).
Terengganu police chief Datuk Mohd Khairi Khairudin said his team also expects about 350,000 vehicles to enter the state due to the Chinese New Year celebrations and start of Ramadan, expected to fall two days apart.
He said his department would intensify law enforcement activities, especially in the locations identified as frequently experiencing congestion and fatal accidents.
"According to records from previous years, the entry (into the state) during the Chinese New Year period is around 300,000 vehicles. But this time we expect to reach 350,000 vehicles because it coincides with the start of the fasting month.
"So far, we have identified 23 'hotspots' where traffic congestion frequently occurs and 22 'blackspots' where fatal accidents often happen in the state," he said at the launching ceremony of Op Selamat 25/2026, in conjunction with Chinese New Year, for the Terengganu contingent at Gemuruh Toll Plaza here today.
Mohd Khairi said to address the congestion problem, his team set up the 'Jammed Squad' comprising the Motorcycle Patrol Unit (URB) in the districts, to be deployed with haste to locations experiencing unexpected congestion.
He said five locations have been identified in the Kuala Terengganu district, with Besut (five locations), Dungun (three), Setiu (three), Marang (three), Kemaman (three) and Hulu Terengganu (two).
He said that during Op Selamat 23, in conjunction with the Chinese New Year 2025, the state recorded 170 accident cases, with one death.
"In addition to road safety, the Crime Prevention and Community Safety Department (JPJKK) will also conduct daily patrols at empty houses and premises through URB, Mobile Patrol Vehicle (MPV) units and police stations.
"So far, the police have received 27 registrations through the Volunteer Smartphone Patrol (VSP) application across the state to be monitored and ensured for safety," he said.
He said a total of nine locations in three districts are categorised as areas where property crimes frequently occur, namely Chukai, Ayer Jernih, Kijal, Gong Badak, Manir, Cabang Tiga, Jertih and Kampung Raja.
Meanwhile, East Coast Expressway 2 (LPT2) regional manager Mohamad Pazli Kasim said his team has opened two additional lanes at the Gemuruh Toll Plaza in Kuala Terengganu to facilitate traffic flow due to a twofold increase in vehicle entries since Saturday.
In addition, he said, the services of 200 members of the People's Volunteer Department (RELA) were deployed to strategic locations, including rest and service areas (R&R) to assist the public and prevent congestion.
“We have also added patrol units and five tow trucks in case of accidents on LPT2," he added.
-- BERNAMA