GENERAL

MCMC Serves Statutory Demand On TikTok Over Offensive Posts Involving Royalty

21/05/2026 05:09 PM

PUTRAJAYA, May 21 (Bernama) -- The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) has issued a statutory demand against social media platform TikTok for failing to take appropriate action within a reasonable timeframe to block and remove extremely offensive, false and threatening content, as well as fake accounts targeting the royal institution.

In a statement today, MCMC said the action was taken following the spread of content linked to an account purportedly associated with His Majesty Sultan Ibrahim, King of Malaysia.

“The content contained extremely offensive, false, threatening and insulting statements. It also included videos generated using artificial intelligence (AI) as well as manipulated images, which may not only contravene Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 (CMA 1998), but also other criminal laws in Malaysia,” the Commission said.

MCMC said the statutory demand required TikTok to implement immediate corrective measures, including strengthening its content monitoring and moderation mechanisms.

“TikTok is also required to ensure more effective enforcement against content that violates Malaysian laws and the platform’s community guidelines,” it said.

The Commission stressed that TikTok must also provide an official explanation regarding its failure to address the harmful content.

Although prior notifications and engagements had been carried out, TikTok’s response in handling the content was found to be unsatisfactory, particularly in ensuring the immediate removal of the content and preventing its further dissemination, it said. 

“MCMC views seriously any misuse of online platforms to spread extremely offensive, false, threatening or harmful content that could disrupt public order, especially when it involves the institution of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong and the Malay Rulers.

“This falls within the highly sensitive 3R (Race, Religion and Royalty) context, which could undermine public order, national harmony and respect for constitutional institutions,” the statement read. 

MCMC stressed that it would continue taking necessary and proportionate regulatory action within its jurisdiction, including legal action where appropriate, to address the misuse of online platforms.

“Social media service providers must act responsibly and swiftly in addressing unlawful, harmful or public order-threatening content, particularly matters involving 3R sensitivities,” it added.

-- BERNAMA

© 2026 BERNAMA   • Disclaimer   • Privacy Policy   • Security Policy  
https://www.bernama.com/en/news.php?id=2559934