WORLD

Indonesia Pledges Up To 8,000 Troops To Gaza, Deployment In 1–2 Months – Prabowo

20/02/2026 10:50 AM

JAKARTA, Feb 20 (Bernama) -- Indonesia has reaffirmed its commitment to contribute up to 8,000 troops, or more if necessary, to play an active role in the International Stabilisation Force (ISF) in Gaza, Palestine, President Prabowo Subianto said.

Speaking during the Board of Peace (BoP) inaugural meeting in Washington, United States (US), Prabowo said Indonesia fully supports US President Donald Trump’s 20-point peace plan and had agreed to it from the outset.

“Indonesia, from the first day that we studied Trump's 20-point plan, we completely agreed and fully committed to this plan, which is why we joined the BoP, and we committed to its success.”

“We know there will be a lot of obstacles and difficulties, but we are very optimistic with the leadership of Trump; this vision of real peace will be achieved.”

“There will be problems, but we will prevail, we will achieve our dream of peace in Palestine, peace, a lasting and peaceful solution for the Palestinian problems and in Gaza,” he said.

His speech text was shared on the President's Secretariat website on Friday.

Prabowo also welcomed the progress achieved through the ceasefire, describing it as real and significant.

“The achievement of the ceasefire is real, we commend this, and therefore we reaffirm our commitment to contribute a significant number of troops,” he said.

Prabowo departed for Washington last Monday for a working visit to the US.

In addition to attending the BoP meeting, he was also expected to sign the Indonesia-US Agreement on Reciprocal Tariffs (ART) with Trump during the visit.

Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Prabowo said Indonesia is prepared to send an advance group within the next one to two months.

On Indonesia’s prospective role within the ISF, Prabowo said the country had been asked to assume the position of deputy commander.

“If selected, we will look for the best option,” he said. A video of the interview was uploaded to the President's Secretariat’s YouTube account.

Before this, the Foreign Ministry clarified that Indonesia’s possible participation in the ISF Gaza would be fully under national control and strictly non-combat.

At the BoP’s meeting, Prabowo said it had proceeded smoothly and participating leaders were briefed on notable progress, particularly in the flow of humanitarian assistance to the Palestinian people.

He said the distribution of food aid and other essential supplies had improved significantly, reaching what he described as the highest levels in several years, while plans were also under discussion.

“But yes, we must be determined to achieve success for the sake of the Palestinian people. We are certainly committed. Earlier, several Muslim countries reaffirmed in their statements our commitment to achieving genuine and lasting peace.”  

“The countries in the group of eight, the group of Muslim countries that were first invited to carry out or take part in this effort…for us, the real, the only long-lasting solution is a two-state solution,” he said.

-- BERNAMA

© 2026 BERNAMA   • Disclaimer   • Privacy Policy   • Security Policy  
https://www.bernama.com/en/news.php?id=2525654