Main Page  I  Northern  I  South  I  East  I  Central  I Sabah & Sarawak  I  Versi B. Melayu  I  BERNAMA.COM
 
 

Underdog candidates for Tanjung Piai by-election confident of continuing campaign


Last Update: 05/11/2019




PONTIAN, 5 Nov -- The by-election campaign for the Tanjung Piai parliamentary constituency involving six candidates enters its fourth day today, but many consider the contest on Nov 16 is actually being fought by the two largest parties namely the Pakatan Harapan (PH) and the Barisan Nasional (BN).

This is because PH is the incumbent party for the constituency while for BN, Tanjung Piai had once been its fortress before losing in the 14th General Election (GE14) last year.

However, for four other contenders namely Gerakan and Parti Barisan Jemaah Islamiah (Berjasa) as well as two independent candidates, they have their own confidence and reasons to join the fray despite being the underdogs.

In the by-election on Nov 16, PH candidate Karmaine Sardini is being challenged by the BN candidate from MCA Datuk Seri Dr Wee Jeck Seng, as well as Gerakan candidate Wendy Subramaniam and Datuk Dr Badhrulhisham Abdul Aziz representing Berjasa; and two independent candidates, Dr Ang Chuan Lock and Faridah Aryani Abd Ghaffar.

 As for Wendy, 38, she and her party are capable of giving a strong fight to the opponents including PH and the BN, the ruling party where Garakan was a partner before collapsing in the recent GE14.

She said although Gerakan had previously been a component party of BN, it (Gerakan) had its own strength as an alternative choice for the voters and create a surprise in the by-election.

"We want to be a third force that could balance the concept of ‘check and balance’ where if we are chosen to go to Parliament, we will be the third force besides PH and BN. We want to make Parliament into a more progressive institution to make every policy created to bring benefits to the rakyat,” he said.

Meanwhile, Badhrulhisham, 56,  who is the Berjasa president, said the participation of the party was not just to fill up the vacancy but as “a victory for the unification of the Malays".

He said he had achieved the main objective which was to contest and send a message to PAS-UMNO on their presence in the by-election.

“I am confident that the deposit (money) will not be lost. Actually by contesting, we have achieved our main objective which was to contest and send a message to the people as well as PAS-UMNO on the unification of the Malays which is important.

“PAS and UMNO do not care about Berjasa (the PAS partner in Gagasan Sejahtera), PAS did not call us to discuss with UMNO. If we look at its formula....this place is traditionally MCA's constituency, UMNO wants to field a candidate to replace the MCA, and its partner PAS had contested previously, it should have been discussed beforehand,” he said.

Meanwhile, Ang, 49, founder of a tuition centre, said he realised the heavy responsibility faced in the contest and to use the social media more as a platform to campaign because of his limited financial resources and lack of adequate machinery.

“I will use and open a new page in the Facebook to campaign. I also plan to go down and meet the people in the Pekan Nanas and Kukup areas in the near future,” said Ang who intended to emphasise the education issue in his campaign especially on the aspect of technology application.

Meanwhile, when other candidates were already active in campaigning during the first week of the 14-day campaign period, another independent candidate Faridah Aryani has yet to appear in Tanjung Piai to campaign.

It is learnt that ???????Faridah and her election machinery would begin to get down to Tanjung Piai tomorrow to begin campaigning activities.

The Election Commission (EC) has fixed Nov 16 as polling day for the Tanjung Piai by-election while early voting was set for Nov 12.          

-- BERNAMA


 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     
   
 

Six detained over brawl at PKR Youth Congress

 
     

Smugglers use smaller vehicles to bring in immigrants

 
     

Water cuts in Seremban, Port Dickson following contamination

 
     

Brace for second wave of floods, evacuate when ordered - Kelantan cops

 
     
 
     
 

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

 
     
     
   
   
     
     
     
   
     
   
     
 

 
© 2019 BERNAMA. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer | Privacy Policy| Security Policy
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form except with the prior
written permission of BERNAMA. Best viewed in Firefox 35.0.1 & Internet Explorer 8.0 with 1024 x 768 resolution