3 measles cases in Sabah involved non-immunised children - Wong
Last Update: 14/02/2019
KOTA KINABALU, Feb 14 (Bernama) -- The three measles cases reported in the state as of Feb 9, involved non-immunised children and two of them are non-citizens, said Sabah Health and People’s Wellbeing Minister Datuk Stephen Wong Tien Fatt.
He said the children were between one and six years old.
Last year, 73 measles cases and one death were reported with 40 per cent of the cases involved children aged between two and seven years, he added.
“A majority of the cases involved local residents while the rest were foreigners and only 15 per cent of them have been vaccinated before,” he said when met by reporters after the launch of the Ministry’s website and Chinese New Year celebration here today.
Wong said the four districts with the highest measles cases last year were Kudat with 30 cases, Semporna (21), Kota Kinabalu (4) and Tawau (4).
On the development of dengue cases in the state, he said 103 cases were reported from Jan 27 to Feb 2 this year, adding that ministry would address the growing threat of dengue.
“The State Health Department had been directed to enhance efforts in preventing and controlling dengue infection through community awareness and education programmes as well as gotong-royong activities in the mosquito breeding hotspot areas,” he said.