Fishermen missing off Kinabatangan yet to be found - police
Last Update: 08/12/2018
KOTA KINABALU, Dec 8 (Bernama) -- Sabah police have yet to find a group of fishermen reported missing in waters off Pegasus Reef, Kinabatangan on Dec 5, Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Omar Mammah said today.
He said police were also unable to confirm if the individuals were abducted or otherwise, as no police reports were received from the family members of the victims or any other party regarding the matter.
"The police are investigating it as a missing person's case, (although) there have been rumours saying they had been kidnapped and taken to a neighbouring country.
"If the police receive a call from the suspects saying they have taken the victims to any hideout, only then we can confirm it (that they have been kidnapped). Until now, the police have not received any reports," he told reporters after participating in a gotong-royong programme at the Likas Bay Public Park here today.
In the meantime, Omar said the police received information saying family members of the victims had apparently received a call from the suspects but one of the wives of the victims denied the matter during a police interview.
"She (the wife of the victim) denied receiving a call stating that her husband and other victims had been kidnapped," he said.
Omar said the police had also yet to confirm whether there were three or four fishermen in the incident as previously reported, and the police would continue investigating the matter.
On Dec 5, a boat owner reported that a skipper and three fishermen were missing in waters off Pegasus Reef, Kinabatangan.
The two foreigners and two locals involved were said to be aged between 19 and 40.