KUALA LUMPUR, March 1 (Bernama) -- Family should not be the excuse for former national badminton doubles player, Koo Kien Keat, to leave the national squad, said National Sports Council (NSC) director-general Datuk Seri Zolkples Embong.
Zolkples said he was aware of the situation facing the country's number one doubles player, as he would be a father for the first time soon.
"But that should not be a barrier for him, to the extent of skipping the training programme with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM)," he told reporters when met at Stage Three of the Le Tour de Langkawi 2014 (LTDL) cycling race at Dataran Merdeka, here, today.
He said Kien Keat, 29, should emulate world number one singles player Datuk Lee Chong Wei who was still active and contributing to the country, despite having a little son.
It was reported earlier that BAM had accepted Kien Kiat's decision to leave the national squad, effective today.....