ALOR SETAR, Nov 10 (Bernama) -- Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng's action to blame Kedah for the prolonged flooding in Seberang Perai areas is just an excuse to ease the anger of the people against him over the disaster.
Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Bashah Md Hanipah said the chief minister was supposed to be responsible for the disaster by correcting the situation if there was still room and time to do so instead of pointing fingers at others.
"I understand the annoyance experienced by Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng as the floods was quite unusual for Penang. These things are difficult to deal with and to some extent affect our health ... this may be a new thing for Guan Eng.
"To be honest, I'm not interested in interfering in the administration of Penang, not to mention the things that involve development projects which are said by many to be among the causes of this extraordinary floods," he said in a statement today.
He was commenting on Lim's statement on an online mainstream media portal yesterday that floods in Seberang Perai Utara and Seberang Perai Tengah should have receded earlier, however, was prolonged due to the water overflowing from Kedah.
In a media report, Lim was quoted as saying: All the while, we had been paying for the water supply from Kedah, so how about this then?"
Commenting on the water supply payment, Ahmad Bashah said it was not a payment for water supply but a joint commitment to protect and preserve the Ulu Muda water catchment area in the state.
"For the record the Penang state government led by you (Guan Eng) before (this) did not want to talk about the cost to both for protecting and preserving the Ulu Muda water catchment area in Kedah," he added.