WORLD › NEWS
South Africa's Minerals, Science Departments Discuss Shale Gas Exploration Issues
"We are in negotiations with the Department of Science and Technology on a few issues that have to be sorted out ...... because you have the SKA (Square Kilometre Array radio telescope being built) in the desert in the Karoo and (the SKA and the exploration of shale gas) are more or less in the same place . They overlap with one another and we want to ensure that there is a balance," he said.
The minister was speaking during a briefing ahead of the department's budget vote in Parliament here Tuesday.
In February the Department of Mineral Resources announced that the country would soon start fracking, a method of gas extraction, in the Karoo, a semi-desert natural region of South Africa. The department has published the technical regulations for the development of shale gas for public comment.
Deputy Mineral Resources Minister Godfrey Oliphant said in addition to consulting with the Science and Technology Department, it was important that they also engagde communities in the area. "Shale gas is a game changer for us and we want to ensure that we do it properly with the buy-in of all stakeholders," he said.
There are mainly three topics under discussion -- the impact on water, the environment and the SKA, which is an international effort to build the world's largest radio telescope.
In March this year, the National Council of Provinces (NCOP), the upper house of parliament, approved the Minerals and Petroleum Resources Development Act (MPRDA) Amendment Bill, paving the way for it to be signed into law by President Jacob Zuma.
It was first approved by the National Portfolio Committee on Mineral Resources on March 6, after which Parliament approved the Bill on March 12.
One of the main amendments to the Bill relate to state participation in petroleum licences. Earlier versions of the Bill entitled the State to a free carried interest of 20 per cent and a further participation interest of 30 per cent, with the total State interest capped at 50 per cent.
It was reported that the version that Parliament approved removed the reference to a 30 per cent participation interest as well as the limit of 50 per cent.
The Act, said the minister, provided the department with a turning point on sectoral transformation in legislation. "We intend to drive a full democratic process, involving a consultative process with all stakeholders to develop this new foundation," he added.
Ramatlhodi said an inter-ministerial committee had been set up and was chaired by him. It would be evaluating and encouraging continued investment in the mining sector.
On whether the minister had held talks with platinum mines on retrenchments in the sector following the five-month strike by mine workers in the platinum belt, Ramatlhodi said it had not been brought to his attention.
"However, there is a meeting scheduled with the chamber to begin to review what happened. After that meeting there will possibly be further consultation with the unions and everybody else," he said.
On June 30, South Africa's Anglo American Platinum (Amplats) said it was reviewing options for its Rustenburg operations. Amplats' parent, Anglo American, had signalled its intention to possibly dispose of some its aging platinum assets in South Africa.
On Tuesday, the minister said the Anglo American group was not leaving the country. "Yes, they are selling in Rustenburg but I'm not informed that they're leaving the country. I've had a meeting with them. They are not leaving the country they will be investing much more in the land, particularly in Limpopo and other areas," said the minister.
-- BERNAMA-NNN-SA NEWS
news coverage in our Newswire service.
Previous Top Stories
Other News Headlines
- Pakatan Supreme Council Accepts Proposal To Nominate Wan Azizah As MB Of Selangor- politic
- Government's Financial Position Getting Stronger: Treasury Secretary-General- business
- JDT Receive RM760,000 From State Govt As Incentive For Winning Super League- sports
- Spend Within Means For Hari Raya- features
- S'pore Agrees To Expand Scope Of Military Cooperation With Thailand- world
Most Read News
Pertubuhan Berita Nasional Malaysia,
Wisma BERNAMA,No 28, Jalan 1/65A,
Off Jalan Tun Razak, 50400 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel : 603-2693 9933 ( General Line )
E-mel : email@example.com
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form except with the prior written permission of BERNAMA.
Best viewed in Firefox 8.0 & Internet Explorer 8.0 with 1024 x 768 resolution