WORLD › NEWS
96 Militants Join Reintegration Process In Afghanistan
High Peace Council provincial chairman Abdul Samad Stanikzai said the rebels had renounced violence and laid down their arms in provincial capital Pul-e-Khumri earlier in the day.
The former militants were previously active in Pul-e-Hissar and Khost districts in the province located about 160 km north of capital Kabul.
"With the insurgents' surrender, peace and stability would be further strengthened in several parts of Baghlan," Stanikzai said.
The Afghan government set up the High Peace Council and launched the peace and reconciliation process in 2010 to encourage Taliban members to give up their weapons.
news coverage in our Newswire service.
Previous Top Stories
Other News Headlines
- Abdul Khalid Says Respects PKR's Decision To Nominate Wan Azizah To Be Next MB- politic
- Bank Negara' International Reserves At RM423.8 Billion- business
- Piya Denies Moving To Felda United Next Season- sports
- Designer Handbags Make Great Investment Pieces- features
- Joko Widodo-Jusuf Kalla Win Indonesia's 2014 Presidential Election- world
Most Read News
Pertubuhan Berita Nasional Malaysia,
Wisma BERNAMA,No 28, Jalan 1/65A,
Off Jalan Tun Razak, 50400 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel : 603-2693 9933 ( General Line )
E-mel : email@example.com
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form except with the prior written permission of BERNAMA.
Best viewed in Firefox 8.0 & Internet Explorer 8.0 with 1024 x 768 resolution