WORLD › NEWS
China's Giant Pandas Arrive At New Home In Belgian Zoo
About 2,500 people including excited children waved national flags of China and Belgium and panda-decorated flags as they greeted the pandas along the road to the zoo located some 60 km southwest of downtown Brussels at 15:00 local time (1400GMT).
However, visitors were only allowed to observe the pandas through a closed-circuit television in the reception.
Officials said they want the pandas fully adapted to their new home before making their public debut in April.
Male panda Xing Hui and female panda Hao Hao, both aged four, are on a 15-year lease from a breeding centre in Sichuan province in China under a research cooperation programme.
"I hope the research programme will bear fruit and Xing Hui and Hao Hao can give birth to a baby panda soon," Li Qingwen, deputy secretary-general of China Wildlife Conservation Association told visitors at the zoo.
news coverage in our Newswire service.
Previous Top Stories
Other News Headlines
- Kajang Voters Have Opportunity To Elect A Responsible Assemblyman- politic
- Petronas Unit, Pacific Northwest Welcome Partner In Canada LNG Project- business
- Chong Wei Sole Malaysian In All-england Badminton Semi-Finals- sports
- Handicraft Maker Immortalises Sarawak's Perahu Tambang- features
- Russia Slams "Biased" Nato Approach To Ukraine Situation- world
Most Read News
Pertubuhan Berita Nasional Malaysia,
Wisma BERNAMA,No 28, Jalan 1/65A,
Off Jalan Tun Razak, 50400 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel : 603-2693 9933 ( General Line )
E-mel : email@example.com
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form except with the prior written permission of BERNAMA.
Best viewed in Firefox 8.0 & Internet Explorer 8.0 with 1024 x 768 resolution