BERNAMA › NEWS


Health Ministry To Ask For Additional Allocation Of RM20 Million To Fight Dengue


PUTRAJAYA, July 16 (Bernama) -- The Health Ministry will ask the federal government for an additional allocation of RM20 million for the all-out two-month-long campaign launched today to fight the scourge of dengue.

Its minister, Datuk Seri Dr S. Subramaniam, said this was because the ministry would take the lead in carrying out all activities to fight dengue, including in local authorities' areas.

"From now on, the ministry will take the lead in carrying out anti-dengue activities, even in local authorities' areas.

"We will help and bring the required resources through the allocation from the federal government, so we need higher allocation for this," he told reporters here Wednesday.

Prior to this, Dr Subramaniam said the ministry spent approximately RM50 million a year to fight dengue.

The minister said the campaign would focus on nine particular constituencies, namely Petaling, Klang, Hulu Langat and Gombak in Selangor; Cheras, Titiwangsa, Kepong and Putrajaya in Federal Territories; and Seremban in Negeri Sembilan.

"These constituencies were selected because they have recorded highest number of dengue cases," he said.

He said through the campaign, 77 dengue-control teams, involving 265 personnel, would be deployed to implement dengue-control activities.

Apart from that, he said a dengue clerking sheet would also be distributed to all private clinics and hospitals, in which the usage would be enhanced through continuous training.

"We will also implement extended hour service at 16 selected clinics nationwide to overcome congestion in hospitals.

"The ministry will also strengthen its dengue contingency plan at each public hospital to ensure optimum management of dengue patients," he said.

Dr Subramaniam said dengue awareness campaign and activities would also be intensified with cooperation from other ministries, including the Communication and Multimedia Ministry, as well as non-governmental organisations.

Enforcement at construction sites would also be done with cooperation from the Construction Industry Development Board, Works Ministry and Department of Occupational Safety and Health, he said.

"We will monitor the development of each programme during the two-month-long campaign with the hope that the number of dengue cases will not keep rising by the week, but to actually record a decline, if possible," he said.

Between January and today, a total of 49,948 dengue cases were reported nationwide, an increase of 35,542 cases or 247 per cent compared to 14,406 cases reported in the corresponding period last year.

The death toll due to dengue had also increased by 236 percent to 94 deaths so far this year from only 28 deaths reported in the same period last year.

In KUALA LUMPUR, Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) Health and Environment Department director Dr Hayati Abdullah said the city hall would intensify efforts to control the scourge of dengue in the city.

She said DBKL was also committed to taking drastic steps to destroy Aedes breeding spots in all areas.

"DBKL has set up 12 teams to carry out fogging activity every morning and afternoon in 1,129 localities in DBKL areas and 95 other localities in the ministry's areas," she told Bernama when contacted.

She said between January and today, Kuala Lumpur had recorded 4,051 dengue cases, with Segambut having the highest number at 753 cases.

-- BERNAMA




We provide (subscription-based) 
news coverage in our
Newswire service.