RMN Officer Held For Alleged Involvement In Militant Activities Freed

KUALA LUMPUR, July 11 (Bernama) -- A Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) officer who was among three men detained by the police in Sabah on June 13, on suspicion of involvement in militant activities was freed unconditionally last night.

RMN chief Admiral Tan Sri Abdul Aziz Jaafar said the man was released from the Sandakan police station and would resume duty soon.

"He is currently at the KD Sri Sandakan Unit. The release (of the navy personnel) is good news to the RMN as it will help restore the good image and reputation of the navy," he said.

He was speaking to reporters after delivering the Aidilfitri greeting to RMN personnel at Wisma Pertahanan here Friday.

Abdul Aziz said he had asked Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar to issue a statement on the man's release.

He said a special team had been set up to closely monitor units in Kota Kinabalu, Sandakan, Tawau and Semporna.

Meanwhile, in a separate development, Abdul Aziz said an auxiliary ship of the RMN's Bunga Mas 5 (BM5) from Port Klang would be sent to the east coast of Sabah to further strengthen surveillance in the waters off the state.

"BM5 will be one of the components or element of 'Sea-Basing' and I am confident it will be able to strengthen surveillance in Sabah waters, especially to thwart foreign intrusion and kidnapping," he noted.

Meanwhile, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said insufficient evidence led to the release of the RMN officer.

"Another navy personnel was still being investigated by the police," he told reporters after receiving a RM10,000 donation from the Malaysian Crime Prevention Foundation here today.

The donation was for Lance Corporal Mohd Azuan Abdullah who was killed when a car driven by a robbery suspect rammed into him on May 26.

Mohd Azuan, a member of the Motorcycle Patrol Unit from the Kerian district police headquarters and his friend were seriously injured when they were hit by the car, following a robbery at the 10th mile towards Alor Pongsu, near Parit Buntar.

Mohd Azuan later succumbed to head and body injuries.


We provide (subscription-based) 
news coverage in our
Newswire service.